Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Second Year Insights

Being a second-year teacher, I am always fighting the urge to compare everything to last year. Sometimes, I don't feel like I have improved enough and still have so far to go before I can really consider myself a successful teacher. Luckily, the last few days have not been like that.

Last year, my students really struggled with equations of lines. Looking back, I thought I taught them too fast and didn't include enough examples. In order to go through the different cases, my examples got complicated way too quickly.

So this year, I kept that in mind. I added more examples, increasing complexity much more gradually. I split it into two days. And.... voila!! My students, by and large, get it! They still get stuck on occasion, but I am getting much fewer questions, and better questions, than I got last year. I love this feeling of success!

No comments:

Post a Comment